Distinctive Workshops Slated for March 31 SWAN Day Celebration
Jamestown, NY – Distinctive workshops by accomplished artists will be among the offerings when Jamestown, New York, joins the international celebration of SWAN (Support Women Artists Now) Day on Saturday, March 31.
Workshops presented from 9 am to noon include:
- Using Your iPhone to Create Beautiful Photos – Jamestown artist Catherine Panebianco will show how your iPhone can produce art in a fun, creative way. Participants must have an iPhone and active iTunes account to purchase apps. Tech-savvy children are welcome. Fee: $15. Maximum enrollment: 12.
- Hands-on Fabric Painting – Panama artist and poet Kathleen Tenpas will lead participants in creating several squares of fabric using different techniques with Setacolor fabric paints on 100% cotton. Interested children age nine and older are welcome when accompanied by an adult. Fee: $25. Maximum enrollment: 12.
- Pieces of You: Harmonization through Collage – Under the direction of Cheektowaga artist Kaitlin Frisicaro, participants will rip, re-act, and layer colored paper and paint while focusing on creative composition and meaningful juxtaposition. Interested children age 10 and up are welcome when they come with an adult. Fee: $20. Maximum enrollment: 15.
Afternoon workshops, 2-5 pm, are
- Introduction to Japanese Traditional Painting – A native of Japan, Edinboro, Pennsylvania artist Hiromi Katayama will share traditional Japanese pigments and techniques which she employs in her own artwork. Interested children are welcome if accompanied by an adult. Fee: $25. Maximum enrollment: 15.
- Pencil Portrait Workshop – Instructor Barbara Fox is a nationally recognized water colorist who teaches all over the country and designs for the U.S. Mint. Minimum age: 15. Fee: $45. Maximum enrollment: 10
- Image Transfer – Under the direction of Toni Kelly of Erie, Pennsylvania, students will experiment with at least five different transfer methods using acrylic mediums and rubbing alcohol and a new transfer method that does not require any mediums. Transfers will be made onto paper, fabric and canvas. Interested children age 9 and up are welcome if accompanied by an adult. Fee: $30. Maximum enrollment: 15.
The workshops will be held at Infinity Visual and Performing Arts, 115 East Third Street, and the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, 116 East Third Street, in downtown Jamestown.
For details and examples of the instructors’ work, click on Workshops on the SWAN Day page at https://womencreate.wordpress.com.
Interested participants are requested to pre-register by Friday, March 23. Walk-ins will be welcomed only if there is room. While children are welcome as noted with each workshop, their fees are not discounted. A registration form is available on-line at https://womencreate.wordpress.com/swan-day-2012/workshops/.
Artworks by the SWAN Day instructors are currently on display at the Women Create exhibit at the 3rd on 3rd Gallery at 116 East Third Street in downtown Jamestown, beside the Reg Lenna Civic Center.
Women Create is presented in cooperation with the Arts Council for Chautauqua County. Regular hours are 10 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday until the closing reception on Saturday, March 31. For viewing by appointment, contact Len Barry at (716) 664-2465, ext. 227.
For details on all the SWAN Day activities, including an Art Market and closing exhibit reception, visit https://womencreate.wordpress.com/.